Who Are We?
"Mpafa" is the Zulu name for the Buffalo Thorn Tree, Blink Blaar Wag-'n-Bietjie or Ziziphus Mucranata also known across Africa as "The Tree of Life".
Mpafa Travel was formed with the vision of conducting guided self drive travels into the remoter areas of Southern Africa. Our objective is to involve everyone in the ecological, historical, cultural, ornithological components of the areas we visit.
Depending on the destination, adventure tourism activities are integrated into the tour and include walking trails, photography, game tracking, bird watching, fishing, scuba diving and boating excursions. The tour dynamics allow you and your family to enjoy the trip from the privacy of your own vehicle, while ensuring your safety and comfort in the camaraderie of group participation.
All vehicles are issued with hand-held radios to facilitate communication between participants and expeditions are fully catered by a professional chef.
- Size of groups vary between 4 and 10 vehicles, depending on the type of trip and destination
- Safe fun and adventure for the whole family and children are very welcome.
- All participating vehicles are issued with two-way radio communications.
- A variety of exciting adventure and leisure activities are included such as boat trips, fishing, snorkeling, guided walks, birding and dugout canoe trips. Wherever possible and safe, we encourage our guests to participate in available adventure activities such as helicopter flips, scenic flights, bungy jumping, white water rafting, dune boarding and quad biking as optional activities (i.e. not included in the tour price).
- Three wholesome meals a day are prepared by a qualified bush chef.
- Menus are varied to include braais, potjies, pasta dishes, etc.
- Fresh salads and/or vegetables are served with dinner.
- Breakfasts on travel days will consist of hot porridge and cereals and, where possible, will include fried breakfasts.
- Lunches are always served on the road to include sandwiches, wraps, salads, etc.
- Tea and coffee is available mornings and evenings.
- Ice is supplied in the evenings only for drinks.
- We supply all catering equipment, cook the food and wash the dishes.
- Rustic tented camps or lodge en suite accommodation depending on the trip.
- On camping trips we supply, erect and transport 2,5 x 2,5m x 1.8m high dome tents with built-in ground sheets.
- Houseboat cabins on certain trips.
Safety And Liability
- Although we travel in very remote areas, we go to great lengths to have communication at all times, including satellite telephones.
- Our guides are all qualified with First Aid and carry basic First Aid kits.
- Should you experience any difficulty, the Mpafa crew do have the "know how" and recovery equipment to assist with most problems.
- All participants will be required to sign an indemnity form.
- Mpafa travel has a zero tolerance policy towards disrespect for safety, the environment, fellow travellers and the communities of the places we visit.
- Mpafa Travel prides itself on the quality of its guides, logistics and catering staff.
- Guides comfortably and willingly share their wealth of ecological, historical, ornithological knowledge with all ages.
- Mpafa crew have taken in excess of 4 500 people on safari.
- Please note that confirmation of your reservation will only be made once Mpafa Travel is in receipt of the completed reservation form and of a 25%.deposit.
- An invoice will be sent to you for final payment approximately a month before the start of the trip.
- The final tour information will be forwarded to you on receipt of full payment, which must be made to Mpafa travel on receipt of the final payment invoice.
Any cancellation of a confirmed booking must be received in writing. In the event of a cancellation Mpafa travel will reserve the right to levy a cancellation fee to be determined as follows:
- 60 plus days prior to departure: R400.00 admin fee per reservation
- After 60 days prior to departure: Deposit will be forfeited
- After 30 days prior to departure: 50% of the full amount of the reservation.
- After 14 days prior to departure: 100% of the full amount of the reservation